Google

Friday, December 12, 2008

The Art of Musical Parody

Good musical parody is hard to find.

Saturday Night Live relies on it, but often falls short. Case in point: newscasters rapping the news. Not quality parody.

Other skits have been brilliant. Two great ones stick in memory:

7 Degrees Celsius. I can still see host James Van Der Beek as one of the members of a boy band even more ridiculous than ‘N Sync and 98 Degrees. I cannot find this video online to share with you so I hope you remember it.

D*ck in a Box. Justin Timberlake joined Adam Samberg for this hilarious parody of R&B ballads. If you haven’t seen it, feel free to watch—just keep your young ones away.



And now, another outstanding musical parody has just reached out and smacked me across the face. It, too, mocks R&B balladry, and it makes my laugh every time I see it.

Enjoy this clip from McDonalds. Yes, it's actually from McDonalds:



You just heard the best line in music in 2008: “Girl, you got a ten piece please don’t be stingaaay …”

11 Comments:

At December 12, 2008 7:23 AM, Blogger dmarks replied to my musings ...

I thought Justin Timberlake was a parody already.

(I think the same outfit that made up the character names in 90210 made up his name too).

 
At December 12, 2008 8:19 AM, Blogger genial replied to my musings ...

Hi there.... love your site...
greetings from Jakarta Indonesia...

 
At December 12, 2008 8:22 AM, Blogger genial replied to my musings ...

to be honor if you'd gimme a change to follow your blog... thnx...

gosh sorry bout my English, i'm not so good on that, hope it's understandable...

best regard,

genial

 
At December 12, 2008 11:26 AM, Blogger Jeff replied to my musings ...

My favorite would probably be "Lazy Sunday". It was done not too long ago with Sandberg and Chris Parnell on SNL. "The Chronic-WHAT-Chles or Narnia!" Sadly I think I know it by heart...

 
At December 12, 2008 11:54 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

DMarks: JT is actually only a hologram. The computer program is what makes him sing and dance so well.

Genial: Thank fore you visited. To meaning is to clarity on me.

Jeff: I haven't seen it; I'll check it out on YouTube.

 
At December 12, 2008 7:17 PM, Blogger Nessa replied to my musings ...

Thanks, I needed a laugh and these are fantastic.

 
At December 12, 2008 7:37 PM, Blogger Dr. John replied to my musings ...

How about "This is Spinal Tap" or "A Mighty Wind"? I have not seen the latter but have seen the former a few dozen times. One of the funniest movies EVER!

 
At December 13, 2008 9:30 AM, Blogger Perplexio replied to my musings ...

I still rate Dana Carvey's Chopping Broccoli as one of the best musical parodies EVER!

 
At December 13, 2008 10:07 AM, Blogger Malcolm replied to my musings ...

After really paying attention to it (maybe on the 2nd or 3rd viewing), I realized that the McDonald's commercial was pretty clever. Along with the work of Stan Freberg and "Weird" Al, I also enjoyed the music video parodies that were done on "In Living Color".

 
At December 15, 2008 1:23 PM, Blogger Jessica replied to my musings ...

LOL-Love these! :)

 
At December 16, 2008 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

Hey, what happened to my comment? Did it get eaten by blogger?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home