Google

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Whatcha Readin’ and Listenin’ To Wednesday: November 26, 2008


After binging on Gabriel-era Genesis last week—I’ve still got the second disc of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in my car as I finish up the box set—I’ve returned to a more typical wider mix of things this week.

I love the fact that much of the metal I’m hearing this week owes so much to classic progressive rock. The influences are clear when you listen to something like Mastodon right after early 1970s Genesis. (Mastodon’s Bill Kelliher has said that the band’s forthcoming Crack the Skye will lean even more strongly on the band’s progressive roots.)

I’ll be traveling the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Reading:

The World Without Us, Alan Weisman: After seeing the History Channel special “Life After People” earlier this year, this similar book caught my eye at the bookstore. It’s not as good as I’d hoped but raises awareness of the enduring nature of plastics, among other things. Also fun are details about which animals would thrive and which ones would struggle without us around.

Acacia, Book One: The War with the Mein, David Anthony Durham: Akin to George R.R. Martin’s epic Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series, this novel weaves a tale of historical political enmity and personal ambition into high fantasy. It’s good enough that I’ll be looking for Book Two: The Other Lands to come out sometime next year.

Listening To:

Mastodon, Blood Mountain
Dream Theater, Systematic Chaos
Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Power Station, s/t
Tool, 10,000 Days
Scott Weiland, 12 Bar Blues

12 Comments:

At November 26, 2008 6:16 AM, Blogger dmarks replied to my musings ...

"Crack in the Skye" reminds me of lyrics from Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles Out".

I have not heard "Lamb" in years, but I think I have every note and word so well memorized that I'm not sure I need to actually play the music to "hear" it.

The only time I've heard "Dream Theatre" was when passing by a construction sight once. Someone had it blasting on the stereo.

Acacia? I'm always on the lookout for good epic fantasy.

 
At November 26, 2008 7:32 AM, Blogger Metal Mark replied to my musings ...

Reading:
Skunks do more than stink (to my daughter)
Boys will boys (about the rise and fall of the Dallas Cowboys in the 90's)

Listening:
V-Project-New Machine
Viking Skull-Doom, gloom, heartache and whiskey
Dragon-Sacrifice and Horde of Gog Elder-st/t
Lordi-Deadache
Fireball Ministry-Several titles
Blackrain-License to thrill
Kreator-Hordes of chaos
Gamma Ray-Hell yeah
Skitzo Calypso-Burning down the empire
V/A-We wish you a metal xmas

Watching:
Dark Funeral-Attera Orbis Terrarum Part 2
Rush-Live Snakes and Arrows
Gamma Ray-Hell Yeah

 
At November 26, 2008 7:42 AM, Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. replied to my musings ...

Not to be confused with Crack the Sky, local legends of our vicinity. Mastodon, yeah, baby, and I was going to pull Power Station out this week after reviewing a Duran Duran DVD, nice!

Reading: The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

Viewing: VH1 Classic Albums: Duran Duran - Rio
Come Together: A Night For John Lennon's Words and Music

Listening to:

a lot of Underground Garage on Sirius
The Beatles - The White Album
John Lennon - Acoustic
John Lennon - Legend
Ironsword - Overlord of Chaos
Samothrace - Life's Trade
Axel Rudi Pell - Mystica
The International Noise Conspiracy - Armed Love
We Wish You a Metal Xmas...
Rose Tattoo - Blood Brothers
Elder - s/t
Saxon - Into the Labyrinth
Mudvayne - The New Game
Eighteen Wheels Burning - Tweak'd Out Strung Up & Redlined
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh

 
At November 26, 2008 1:53 PM, Blogger Perplexio replied to my musings ...

Still reading: A Question of Loyalty by Dennis Waller

Listening to:
Def Leppard Hysteria
Chicago Transit Authority
Simon Phillips Another Lifetime
Liquid Trio Experiment Spontaneous Combustion
David Bowie Hunky Dory
Australian Crawl & James Reyne The Definitive Collection

 
At November 26, 2008 9:24 PM, Blogger cjk_44 replied to my musings ...

Still reading “Boom! Voices of the Sixties” by Tom Brokaw and because I needed something lightweight I am reading Tim Kirkjian’s recent book about baseball (which has a generic title I cannot remember).

Music in my ears this past week or so:

1. Enslaved – Below the Lights
2. Lunatic Soul – Lunatic Soul
3. Gojira – From Mars to Sirius
4. All That Remains – Overcome
5. Intronaut – Null
6. John Lee Hooker – The Healer

 
At November 26, 2008 11:23 PM, Blogger Jessica replied to my musings ...

Have a great Thanksgiving! :D

Listening to:
Guns N' Roses

Reading:
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

 
At November 28, 2008 2:07 PM, Blogger JM replied to my musings ...

Listening to some Kelly Clarkson Christmas music and reading Obama From Promise to Power right now.

 
At November 28, 2008 7:43 PM, Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. replied to my musings ...

and kudos on the CTA, Perplexio, that one and Chicago III are two of the finest records ever put down

 
At December 01, 2008 1:42 AM, Blogger Phats replied to my musings ...

I am reading James Patterson's See How They Run.

Listening to some Garth Brooks!

Picks are up good luck, can't wait til Tuesday

 
At December 01, 2008 7:15 PM, Blogger Jeff replied to my musings ...

I'm reading As I Lay Dying by Faulkner and I'm mainly listening to The Killers Day and Age, The Nice Autumn to Spring and Nirvana In Utero.

 
At December 02, 2008 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

What am I reading today? Why *@^&%$ blogs of course. I took a week off and need to catch up.

Present company excluded in the swearing of course ;-)

 
At December 02, 2008 6:12 PM, Blogger DaBich replied to my musings ...

LOL @ Lisa!

Reading? Don't laugh at me, but I'm reading the third book in the Twilight (Vampire) phenomenon, it's called Eclipse, by Stephanie Meyer. My 22 year old daughter insisted I read the first one, and I have to admit, I am hooked. The books are fantastic!

Music, I'm listening to the new AC/DC CD, Black Ice. The first song, Rock 'n Roll Train, gets me moving everytime I play it. Good stuff!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home