Google

Friday, October 31, 2008

License to Mock

Vanity plate—those vehicle tags with personalized expressions usually limited to seven characters—have always bugged me.

I see more of them than most of you. According to a study by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, Virginia has the highest “vanity plate penetration rate” of any US state: more than 16 percent.

Sure, it’s a great way for states to make extra money, thus lowering taxes for the rest of us. I’m all in favor of that. But I’ve always had difficulty understanding why people would pay extra money just to have strangers pass them, look at their oddly abbreviated pet phrase, and say one of two things:

“How clever!”

(or)

“What the &#$% does that mean?!?”

Well, one New Zealander’s ingenuity caught up with him recently when, according to this story form the online Boston Herald, his Subaru Impreza was stolen.

What did its plate say?

STOWLN.

That goes in the “Vanity Plate, How Appropriate” file. Just like these:

Senator Ted Stevens: CORRUPT

Barack Obama: ROBNHUD

Sarah Palin: ICRUSHA

Mainstream news media: 2BIASED

My financial advisor: GOODLCK

And I’m ashamed to admit that back in the day I used to have a vanity plate. So I must add:

David Amulet: HYPOCRT

15 Comments:

At October 31, 2008 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

I had one too way back when...

Now I wouldn't have one at gunpoint!

 
At November 01, 2008 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

One of my friends has one. Says:

HIOFCER

It was way more effective on her little sports car then her New Mom 4-wheel drive.

 
At November 01, 2008 11:59 PM, Blogger Bar L. replied to my musings ...

good ones!

I'm ashamed to admit i had one too it said: lvdlfns

do you get it?

 
At November 02, 2008 12:46 AM, Blogger Mike replied to my musings ...

Never had one, as I was too cheap. A friend I had had one that said NOTKTPS, but he got them anyway. How about some more?

Dick Cheney-FCBLSTR
Most anyone from my high school-
TREHUGR
Lame attempts, yes, but I had to try.

 
At November 02, 2008 12:29 PM, Blogger Jessica replied to my musings ...

LOl-I've never had one, but I wouldn't be apposed to it. Especially if I thought of something I really liked. Interesting about VA. I lived in California for a while, and I noticed tons while I was there.

 
At November 02, 2008 5:35 PM, Blogger Phats replied to my musings ...

haha I like your plate, good one David. Sarah Palin's isn't that NTQUL5D?

I have Purdue plates

 
At November 02, 2008 5:49 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Lisa: Birds of a feather ...

Jenn: You're right--the other car would make more sense. Still, better that she has HIOFCER than HIOCFER. That's just tempting them to pull you over.

Barbara: I'm stumped. Maybe you're suggesting that you love Def Leppard fans?

Mike: You lost me on NOTKTPS. Maybe I'm dense today ... this falls in my “What the &#$% does that mean?!?” category.

Jessica: What would yours say if you get one?

Phats: Yikes. Bill Clinton must have had the same plate when he ran in '92 as governor of a small state! So what does your Purdue plate say (or is it just the frame)?

 
At November 02, 2008 8:07 PM, Blogger Jessica replied to my musings ...

hmm, I haven't really thought of one that I would really want. That also wouldn't be incredibly cheese.

 
At November 02, 2008 11:28 PM, Blogger Phats replied to my musings ...

It's just the frame. It's one of those special plates were the proceeds go to the John Purdue Club.

yeah caribou barbie can stay in Alaska

 
At November 03, 2008 7:02 PM, Blogger Metal Mark replied to my musings ...

I would never shell out the dough for something like that. I am out on the road to go somewhere not to be entertainment for others.

 
At November 03, 2008 7:41 PM, Blogger Perplexio replied to my musings ...

You forgot:

Michael Jackson
4NIK8R

 
At November 05, 2008 8:33 PM, Blogger Dr. John replied to my musings ...

One of my favs was one I saw on a silver Ferrari: HI O AG

 
At November 05, 2008 9:48 PM, Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. replied to my musings ...

mine lately would be NOSLEEP

 
At November 06, 2008 11:57 AM, Blogger Jeff replied to my musings ...

I remember not too long ago someones quest to get one which referenced something crass made the news. The persons said it didn't mean what everyone knew it meant but I don't think he ended up with the plate. I really wish I could remeber what it said... That would make this comment have some value, instead it's just me rambling on about nothing, lol.

 
At November 24, 2008 9:54 PM, Blogger dmarks replied to my musings ...

I saw an exterminator with "BUG 1" as his vanity plate today. I imagined Dale Gribble behind the wheel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home