Back in My Saddle
I have not been myself lately. In fact, I’ve been kind of boorish.
You see, my alter ego has been standing in for me for a couple of months now while I’ve been busy. It’s a trite, overused literary technique, but we all resort to gimmickry sometimes.
Now I’m back. And it’s good to be here.
Why? Let me give you some small reasons why it’s good to be alive in December 2007.
(1) Jamie Lynn Spears. The little sister of white trash poster girl Britney Spears is pregnant. And she’s 16 years old. This restores my faith in the fertility of America’s young women.
(2) My health. Despite some odd ups and downs in recent years and my lackadaisical attitude lately toward exercise, I'm feeling great. Thanks to my organs, bones, and assorted other biological stuff—I owe you one.
(3) In fewer than eleven months, the U.S. presidential election will be over. Not soon enough, I know … but at least now there is a light at the end of this very disheartening tunnel.
(4) The iPhone. A touch screen device that enables instant access to the Internet, e-mail, a camera, my phone, a notepad, my calendar, maps, movies, and my favorite music is not essential in any way. But it sure is nice.
(5) Podcasts. Geeky, I know. But recently I’ve become a fan of several podcasts, particularly on skepticism and astronomy. What a great way to keep the brain in good shape while doing other things.
(6) Holiday shopping. Yes, mall parking sucks. And sure, the crowded stores can get annoying and drive anyone toward online purchases. But there’s something special about walking around shoulder-to-shoulder with your fellow human beings to find gifts that will make other happy.
(7) You. Even with my irregular posts, split personality issues, and my extended absence from most of your sites, you’re still reading my words and commenting here. And I appreciate it.
Let me know what YOU are grateful for.