Google

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What a Wonderful World

Here in David Amulet’s world, we love lists. And, apparently, we are not the only ones.

The world just can’t get enough of rankings and compilings.

In the past few weeks I’ve seen lists of the best movies of all time, the most important books of the last century, the most spiteful things to do to your landlord, and the worst things to say under your breath to your wife.

That last one is just mine. You don’t want me to share, trust me.

But one new list in particular has caught me eye. This weekend, we got yet another ranking of the world’s seven most something; this time, it’s the globe’s most amazing human-built structures:
  • The Great Wall of China
  • Petra in Jordan
  • The “Christ the Redeemer” statue in Brazil
  • Machu Picchu in Peru
  • The Chichen Itza pyramid
  • The Colosseum in Rome
  • The Taj Mahal in India
Like any good list, this one generated some controversy.

The Egyptians seethe because the ancient pyramids inexplicably didn’t make the cut. Surely the absence of any Athenian sites angers the Greeks.

This time, however, critics cannot blame a panel of architects or egg-headed professors for the results. These results followed a very democratic process, which drew more than 90 million votes online, split among 21 sites.

Maybe that’s the problem.

If there is going to be a worldwide poll, it needs better publicity than this one. I only heard about it after the voting had closed. If this were a fully representative survey of world opinion, I think we’d have to include the following structures:
  • The Egyptian Pyramids, the world’s most recognizable structure
  • The International Space Station, the world’s largest space creation
  • The Gateway Arch in St. Louis, the world’s most tempting climbing target
  • The Washington Monument, the world’s most blatant phallic symbol
  • Jessica Alba, the world’s most beautiful structure

20 Comments:

At July 11, 2007 11:01 AM, Blogger Bar L. replied to my musings ...

I think you're onto something here, how do we get them to let us vote next time, I can't wait to come back and see some of the comments left here. I'm just not witty enough today.

 
At July 11, 2007 9:42 PM, Blogger JM replied to my musings ...

Yeah, Jessica Alba!

 
At July 11, 2007 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

Humor is in short supply here, too, but I have a feeling that Tony LaRussa will be avoiding the Arch, lest he be strung up after not playing Pujols in the All-Star Game Tuesday night. It's really kinda sad when you see and hear all the shit that's being directed at him. Even Albert lashed out at him...

 
At July 12, 2007 4:28 PM, Blogger Nessa replied to my musings ...

I'm more interested in your whispered list.

 
At July 13, 2007 8:47 AM, Blogger Mike replied to my musings ...

I want to be on the list of people that get to explore Jessiac Alba. Let me know when that survey comes out.

 
At July 13, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger mojotek replied to my musings ...

Your five contributions should have DEFINITELY made the cut. If the voting had been more publicized, I'm sure all yours would have been on there.

How can you NOT include Jessica Alba and the most blatant phallic symbol in the world on a list like that?

 
At July 13, 2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Godwhacker replied to my musings ...

I think modern world wonders should be, well... modern. All that hundred year old + stuff is old. To that end, Jessica Alba definitely gets my vote... Those lips!

 
At July 13, 2007 1:09 PM, Blogger Perplexio replied to my musings ...

Your comment about Jessica Alba reminds me of a joke...

God is kind of weary and about to go on a vacation but he's not sure where. So he asks St. Peter, "Where should I go?"

"What about the moon?" St. Peter suggests.

"No atmosphere." God replies

"What about Earth?" St. Peter asks.

"Naw, I was there about 2,000 years ago. I met a really nice girl and they're STILL talking about it."
--------------------------------
If there's a human female worthy of God's "good graces" these days, I don't think He'd find a better human specimen than Alba. :-)

 
At July 13, 2007 1:16 PM, Blogger Jeff replied to my musings ...

I think I would have to vote for either Heidi Klum or Adriana Lima for the worlds most beautiful structure.
Get out the info so we can have a truly democratic vote!

 
At July 13, 2007 4:41 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Layla: So, what do yout think of these so far?

Angel: I knew the males (and many females) would support me on that one.

Bruce: He can't get a break, huh? What happened to civility?

GN: Those files are permanently sealed.

Mike: Get in line, buddy. I had the idea first!

Mojotek: Thanks for the support. I knew I coudl count on you.

GW: If modern were a criterion, I guess we'd have to include that big hotel in Dubai, too.

Perplexio: GREAT JOKE! I'll have to use that one around and see who laughs ...

Jeff: I have no problem with expanding the list to include more "natural wonders."

-- david

 
At July 13, 2007 11:18 PM, Blogger Phats replied to my musings ...

I'd vote for Jessica Alba, I got confused there I was reading Jessica Alba the most climbed monument and realized I was reading the wrong line ;)

 
At July 14, 2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Janet replied to my musings ...

Did you hear about the contest that was voting for the Eighth Wonder of the World? I just thought I'd make sure you were in the loop. Of course I can't recall the exact URL right now.:(

 
At July 16, 2007 6:14 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Phats: Maybe not most climbed ... but she would win several awards in my book.

Janet: I hadn't heard about that! I can seee this going the way of Ocean's Eleven, where they just keep adding wonder after wonder.

-- david

 
At July 16, 2007 4:37 PM, Blogger Cup replied to my musings ...

I would have thought you'd name Ms. Alba the world's most tempting climbing target ... although I'd prefer to see George Clooney get that honor.

 
At July 16, 2007 6:34 PM, Blogger Jay replied to my musings ...

I love how North American isn't even a consideration. We haven't made anything cool, ever.

 
At July 17, 2007 5:11 AM, Blogger ChickyBabe replied to my musings ...

Forget the rest, Jessica will do just fine!

 
At July 17, 2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Jay Noel replied to my musings ...

You need to come to St. Louis - I'll take you to the Arch and we'll climb it!

 
At July 17, 2007 3:37 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Beth: I'll take jessica over George, but I respect your right to choose your own climbee.

Jay: The Mayan pyramid is kind of in North America ... but we do better on the natural wonders, like the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, and my great side yard.

CB: Welcome back--it's been a while. Thanks for agreeing to split Jessica with me, this sounds like fun.

Phoenix: I remember standing at its base several times as a kid/teenager looking up and being tempted. I'm mostly over that now.

Mostly.

-- david

 
At July 18, 2007 9:35 PM, Blogger BeckEye replied to my musings ...

I saw a Jenga tower last week that was pretty amazing.

 
At July 19, 2007 2:26 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Beckeye: I haven't played Jenga in way too long. Maybe a weekend tournament is in the offing.

-- david

 

Post a Comment

<< Home