Google

Monday, February 05, 2007

For the Dogs

Yesterday afternoon, preparing for the big game but tiring of the increasingly inane pre-game coverage, I did waht all good men do.

I grabbed the remote and flipped channels.

Before long, I came across something I'd heard about but which I thought was a joke: the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet.

If you missed it, this event simply captures several frequently rotated puppies running around on a small mock football field, playing with each other and generally looking, well ... cute. It was so full of puppy love that it compelled my mother to call me to ensure I'd seen it.

And as I watched the madness, my mind went back to a post here about a year ago, about someone who took their love for a dog a bit too far. Many of you were around then and may even remember it. With a few tweaks, here it is again:



Weddings often have surprises.

If you go to enough ceremonies, you’ll see some funny things. A flower girl will refuse to walk down the aisle. A bridesmaid will pass out. A groom will shout “I don’t,” kiss the priest instead of the bride, and skip toward the door while giggling like a schoolgirl.

Maybe that last one was just my friend Dennis. (Well, now Denise.)

Regardless, madcap antics often surround the exchange of nuptials. But nowhere have such shenanigans reached the level attained by a recent wedding in India. A 7-year-old girl in the country’s eastern state of Bihar married a dog.

That was NOT a typo—a girl truly married a dog. And not one of those fancy Westminster Kennel Club types, either … it was just some random stray.

This pairing seemed like a swell idea to the girl’s family, which agreed to the wedding because—again, I’m not making this up—the ritual would do away with the “evil eye” that cursed her because her upper teeth came in before her lower teeth.

For the record, let me thank my parents publicly for not raising me in the Indian state of Bihar.

I’m not one to criticize other cultures, or argue that one society’s superstition is any more “valid” than another’s. But I’m really going to need some help with this one. If you have any insight, please educate us—how, precisely, does marrying a dog deny a tooth-induced evil eye? And, I hesitate to ask, does removing this curse require a consummation of the marriage?

Whatever the answer, it takes a cur-ageous girl to marry a dog. Either that, or the bride’s mother was a real bitch.

All this makes me wonder which teeth came in to prompt this kind of madness. Was it the molars? The incisors?

Nope. It was clearly the canines.

22 Comments:

At February 05, 2007 2:51 PM, Blogger Perplexio replied to my musings ...

If she's looking for loyalty/fidelity, marrying a dog may have been the smartest move she could have made.

Was their song perchance, Puppy Love.

 
At February 06, 2007 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

Its so strange that even in the 21st Century people believe in such silly things

 
At February 06, 2007 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

I remember that story. I caught a few minutes of the Puppy Bowl, too, and I have to admit, they were cute. Almost made me want to get another dog... almost.

 
At February 06, 2007 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

Bruce - you really should get a dog!

David - yep I remember this from last time and it still creeps me out.

 
At February 06, 2007 5:45 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Paige: You're not working anymore? Oh, wait, you said "page," not "paige" ... silly me. I have removed the link--thanks.

Perplexio: Depending on the dog, you may be right. Good song idea!

Justin: A lot of us have our supernatural superstitions that don't quite match up with reason. This one just struck me as particuarly odd.

Bruce: It made me want to get a dog again--as long as it stayed small and puppy-like (well, except for the lack of bladder control).

Barbara: I thought you were around then, I think it was about a year ago I posted it. I was hoping by now we'd have an update on the happy couple, but no dice.

-- david

 
At February 06, 2007 8:33 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen replied to my musings ...

Damn! I missed the Puppy Bowl!!! Grrrrr. ;)

 
At February 06, 2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Jay Noel replied to my musings ...

I remember this story too. I think they believed the dog was a reincarnated man or something...or maybe the girl was a reincarnation of a dog.

I don't know what the carnation is going on over there in India. I thought they ate dogs for supper.

 
At February 08, 2007 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

True indeed! When u see those sweet little puppies running by here and there in a joyful mood, you do feel rejuvenated

 
At February 08, 2007 9:53 AM, Blogger Gyrobo replied to my musings ...

So...

Were they racing the puppies, or eating them?

 
At February 08, 2007 8:11 PM, Blogger :P fuzzbox replied to my musings ...

Angry Joyce frequently tells people that she married a dog.

 
At February 09, 2007 1:59 AM, Blogger Phats replied to my musings ...

Uhh the puppy bowl rocks!

I thought you were writing about the UNC/Duke game? You all on the bubble?

 
At February 10, 2007 8:21 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Stacy: Don't fret--I'm sure they'll rerun it.

Justin: You're probably right, but I'm not sure about hour after hour of it.

Gyrobo: No puppies were harmed during the making of the program. Or so they say.

Fuzz: Angry Joyce has keen insight.

Phats: Ahh, another watcher! As for Duke, I said from the start this was not going to be a strong year. I still can't believe they were ranked in the top ten for so much of the season. But watch out for them in March!

-- david

 
At February 10, 2007 10:29 PM, Blogger Tai replied to my musings ...

I am decidedly rolling my eyes.

Poor girl willl be dogged for the rest of her life.

 
At February 10, 2007 11:13 PM, Blogger Cinderella replied to my musings ...

Too many jokes for this one!! Hahaha, nuts I TELL YA, NUTS!

 
At February 11, 2007 8:26 AM, Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. replied to my musings ...

Mother was a real bitch, lol! I can't even begin to describe my thoughts on this topic. I consider myself very open-minded, a to each his/her own kinda guy, but wow...I think I might need to watch some mindless Godzilla stomping

 
At February 11, 2007 11:40 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Tai: Rolling your eyes is fine. Shutting them and looking away would be, though.

Cindy: Sometimes the stories all but tell themselves.

Ray: I'm the same way ... but cross-species matrimony?!? A step too far.

-- david

 
At February 12, 2007 4:12 AM, Blogger missy replied to my musings ...

Funny post, David... love the witty ending ;-)

I wonder if the dog was consulted in this matter? I hope he is not marrying against his will! I am for Animal Rights!!

 
At February 12, 2007 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

i was going to say this is a great post, but i forgot you name...

-- alison

 
At February 12, 2007 6:02 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Missy: Welcome back--and thanks. I think it's wrong when families make their dogs marry against their will!

Fatty: I forget my name all the time. Actually, I don't even know why I'm writing this. Where am I?

-- david

 
At February 17, 2007 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

Boo! Hiss! The punning zone is alive and well ;-)

 
At February 17, 2007 3:00 PM, Blogger dragonflyfilly replied to my musings ...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 17, 2007 3:03 PM, Blogger dragonflyfilly replied to my musings ...

"....there oughta be be a law against THAT!!...." marrying a dog, and maybe exploiting puppy's too...*chuckle*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home