Google

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Raising Two Cups to the Art World

Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Everyday objects can speak to artists, taking on new meanings if viewed in the right light.

A senior citizens’ center in Paducah, Kentucky, however, has taken this to the next level: Their current art exhibit celebrates nothing less than … the bra. Local artists have painted, embroidered, or otherwise decorated 36 brassieres, each of which is named (“Group Support Bra” and “Pirates of the Carri-Bra-En,” for example) and accompanied by a story.

This might just be the breast idea I’ve ever heard.

For years, in fact, I have found myself responding to the call of nearby bras, which whisper their name and beg me to unravel their tales. As a hands-on learner, I fondly recall “I’m a Little D-Cup” and “The Secrets of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood.”

Not to mention that I frequently came across “You Saved the Chest for Last.”

I realize the dangers of bare chests. But if more women need to forgo wearing bras to advance our artistic heritage, so be it.

In other recent bra art news—yes, this really is a big topic lately—breast cancer activists in Cyprus recently created a chain of 114,00 bras, breaking the Guinness Book of Records’ top score of 79,000 linked bras set in Singapore three years ago.

Something I learned today: People other than Gene Simmons of Kiss actually keep track of these things.

The event aimed to raise awareness of breast cancer, a noble goal. Of course, this benefit may have been balanced by a rise in car accidents as men gaped at thousands of topless Cypriot women.

But if that’s the price we pay, so be it.

I’ll just say thanks for the art, thanks for advancing the cause, and thanks for the mammaries.

22 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 7:35 AM, Blogger :P fuzzbox replied to my musings ...

That was indeed a bra-inspiring article. It is nice to see that you are keeping abreast of the important events.

 
At May 09, 2006 8:18 AM, Blogger Cari replied to my musings ...

hahahah :}

 
At May 09, 2006 8:23 AM, Blogger On My Watch replied to my musings ...

This post was VERY clever...cross my heart...for 18 hrs, at least!

I will say if they do not grow lacy in their efforts they could sling-shot awareness to a whole new level.

:)

 
At May 09, 2006 8:41 AM, Blogger Unknown replied to my musings ...

Thank you for a titillating topic.

 
At May 09, 2006 9:07 AM, Blogger Cissa Fireheart replied to my musings ...

Thanks for the Mammaries? HAHAHA!! Oh man what an uplifting way to start my day...I feel like 2 boulders have shifted from on top of me from laughing so hard...

Now for breakfast...I think I'll have some juicy melons! ;)

 
At May 09, 2006 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

Tit for tat, that was a great post, David. I suddenly have the urge to consume a couple of casaba melons...

 
At May 09, 2006 12:32 PM, Blogger KC replied to my musings ...

I have nothing witty to say. Dammit. Thanks for the giggles.

Ta-ta!

 
At May 09, 2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Perplexio replied to my musings ...

It's always nice to read of artists who have a firm grasp of the beauty of women's undergarments. So thank you for keeping abreast of this delightful topic.

 
At May 09, 2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Mackenzie replied to my musings ...

You are terrible, terrible in a funny way. Victoria may have witnessed, but she'll never testify...that bitch knows how to keep a secret.

 
At May 09, 2006 6:40 PM, Blogger SK replied to my musings ...

Have you ever seen The Vagina Monologues? Every year I go there are dozens of decorated vagina portraits throught the theater. Makes for an interesting date.

 
At May 09, 2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Bar L. replied to my musings ...

Love it. This was creatively written and so are the comments of your witty readers. I am a reader, just not very witty...but then again I just thought of a word that rhymes with witty that would fit right into this theme!

 
At May 10, 2006 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous replied to my musings ...

no one cares about the bras. I mean I love bras - but they look better with 'mammaries' in them.

The topless Cypriot women would have raised just as much awareness bearing all than bothering to link the discarded bras together. =D

 
At May 10, 2006 7:50 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

I will echo the previous comments about the value of the comments here. It's great to see so much creativity -- I love sparking something aand being entertained by what everyone here comes up with!

-- david

 
At May 10, 2006 8:55 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen replied to my musings ...

114,000 connected bras? Bras-across-America???

Bra-zenly done!

(Hey, I got here late...all the really good puns were already taken, dammit!)

;)

 
At May 10, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger cube replied to my musings ...

This is a burning dilemma.

 
At May 10, 2006 6:21 PM, Blogger Jay Noel replied to my musings ...

And don't forget curare Z's story on the breast feeding-a-thon in the Philippines.

It seems boobies are making headlines.

 
At May 10, 2006 9:13 PM, Blogger ChickyBabe replied to my musings ...

Another creatively written post, David. My mammaries thank you!

 
At May 11, 2006 4:46 AM, Blogger Martin replied to my musings ...

I'd really like to see them instead of taking the bras and creating a chain... how about sending them to 'under-developed' countries for the over-developed. If we could cut down on some stretch marks in National Geographic photos, I'd feel we actually accomplished something.

 
At May 12, 2006 8:32 AM, Blogger Mike replied to my musings ...

Were there bear breasted women holding these 114,000 bra's? I'd have gone to support their cause if that was the case.

 
At May 12, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ replied to my musings ...

Okay, thanks for the morning laugh, and man, you have some terrifically clever readers except for me cuz I can't think of a damn thing to say, and believe me, my brain is zipping through any titty joke I've ever heard.

Did you see the news article where like 4,000 women simultaneously breastfed for at least one minute? Bet THAT baby was full!

 
At May 12, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Pixie replied to my musings ...

LOL( couldnt think of a Tit, Bra, breast inspired gag, they have all been done) ;)

 
At May 14, 2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Rocky replied to my musings ...

This was an udderly unbelievable post, David. Of corset is always nice to see your spin on current events.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home