Google

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Special Album Review: Spinal Tap’s Rock and Roll Creation

This is a new one for me: a review of something that doesn’t even exist.

I have responded to the call of two fellow rock fans—Ben of "My Daily Review" and Metal Mark of "Heavy Metal Time Machine"—in a possibly unprecedented effort to nearly simultaneously review three albums by Spinal Tap, the greatest rock band that never was. Please check out their reviews of Brainhammer and The Sun Never Sweats.

Without further ado, here is my fake review of the fake Spinal Tap album from 1977, Rock and Roll Creation.

Once each decade or so, an album takes the rock world by storm with its musical virtuosity and lyrical genius.

Spinal Tap’s Rock and Roll Creation is NOT that album.

In fact, it’s hard to call this ostentatious fusion of heavy metal, religious imagery, and sophomoric sexual allusion an album at all. Rock and Roll Creation is better described as the soundtrack to the level of Hell that even Dante didn’t dare describe.

Trying to locate bright spots on this record is like searching for buried treasures in your backyard—they may be there, but you’ll have to look really, REALLY hard to find them … and you’ll uncover a lot of shit in the process.

The album’s least vomit-inducing song is the title track, the only one on the record preferable to shaving one’s testicles with a rusty scalpel. Tap’s co-founder and lead singer, David St. Hubbins, growls lines like “Ying was searching for his yang/And he looked and saw that it was good.” One hopes that St. Hubbins is referencing Eastern philosophy’s tenets of self-awareness and balance, but it is far more likely that he is simply imagining a man named “Ying” who admires his own penis.

Spinal Tap’s morbid hybrid of sexual innuendo and quasi-spiritual phrases weigh down the album's other tracks, like “Young, Smug and Famous.” The band’s label says the album was originally titled The Gospel According to Spinal Tap. That name would have better described the bulk of the album, which indeed should be lost for centuries in the nether regions of a nameless desert.

The most positive thing to say about this vomitorium of sound is that it at least attempts hard rock—more than can be said for its immediate Tap predecessors: Back for the Rent, the band’s first, and thankfully last, contribution to glitter rock; and Tap Dancing, Tap’s equally horrid stab at glam dance music. Rock and Roll Creation fails miserably ... but it’s tempting to give the band a D- for effort.

So take this reviewer’s advice: Buy this album.

Then smash it, burn it, and bury the ashes deep in your backyard so it will never see the light of day again.

15 Comments:

At February 15, 2006 8:40 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Thanks, Fred. My aim was to write a snarky, smart-ass review in the same vein as those in the movie This is Spinal Tap ... I'm gald you caught the tone!

-- david

 
At February 15, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Jay Noel replied to my musings ...

They need to rename "The Gospel According to Spinal Tap" to "The Awful According to Spinal Tap."

D- is pretty merciful.

 
At February 15, 2006 10:58 AM, Blogger Jay Noel replied to my musings ...

Geez...I'm on hiatus for a little over a week and I'm kicked off your favorite blogs list.

Dang, tough crowd.

Actually three of my fellow bloggers did the same thing. Blog real estate must be a premium these days!

 
At February 15, 2006 11:50 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Phoenix: Glad you're back; I'll put you back up, no worries. I thought you would be gone for a while--your dramatic goodbye made most of us think it would be months, not days!

And you should consider those of us who took you down temporarily to be your BEST blog-pals: Anyone clicking on your link and finding nothing there several times would be unlikely to keep trying later when you returned.

Again, welcome back.

-- david

 
At February 15, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Todd and in Charge replied to my musings ...

Hilarious -- almost as bad as the "real" music from bands like The Darkness....

 
At February 15, 2006 12:34 PM, Blogger :P fuzzbox replied to my musings ...

But what a stage show.

 
At February 15, 2006 12:48 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Sorry about the typo, Fred. I'm glad, not gald. Really.

Todd: Thanks for the comment. Some of Tap's music is quite fun to listen to. But because this album doesn't even exist--the only song recorded was "Rock and Roll Creation"--I found it hard to write a positive review.

And it was more fun to just trash it.

-- david

 
At February 15, 2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Metal Mark replied to my musings ...

Great review. My review is up on my blog now.

 
At February 15, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger KC replied to my musings ...

What a great review. Makes me want to listen to it... not really.

 
At February 15, 2006 2:42 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard replied to my musings ...

"We feel it's the best offering since Lou Reed's Metal Music Machine..."

However, Trace Adkins' 'Songs About Me' continues to produce the most screams of agony, when the listener is subjected to 'total immersion' of the record played continuously, 24/7.

Gwen Stefani's 'Holla Back Girl' comes in close as a 'motivational tool,' but that's just a single, and the people we tested it on liked other parts of the album..."

The Staff; Abu Gharib Prison.

 
At February 15, 2006 9:39 PM, Blogger JM replied to my musings ...

I watched that movie "This Is Spinal Tap". I actually enjoyed it.

 
At February 16, 2006 5:49 AM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Don't get me--or Mark or Ben, for that matter--wrong. We are all BIG fans of the movie, regardless of what we might think of the imaginary back catalog.

-- david

 
At February 16, 2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen replied to my musings ...

"Least vomit-inducing song"???

That one would probably be my favorite....;)

 
At February 16, 2006 11:33 AM, Blogger BrianAlt replied to my musings ...

I'd have to give your review an 11, which is of course better than 10.

And the best part of the album was actually the cover. I own both the original "rape" cover and the later boring one.

How many drummers did they actually use on that album anyway?

And thanks for the link!

 
At February 17, 2006 4:36 PM, Blogger Sar replied to my musings ...

That was the best fake review of a fake band and fake album I ever faked reading. ;)

Kidding. My favorite line was "...the soundtrack to the level of Hell that even Dante didn’t dare describe."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home