Google

Monday, August 15, 2005

OIl Prices: Up, Up, and Away!

I have never been one to care about rising gas prices. I have never paid attention when the media has hyped the cost of a tank of gas.

Hell, I never even looked at the receipt after I filled ‘er up. (The car, not the prostitute. Them hookers are tax deductible if you have a good accountant.)

It is just a waste of time to fret about such things, I thought. What am I going to do, not drive to work because each gallon costs a few cents more?

Those people whining about gas prices were just whiners—the same folks who complained about the cost of houses … movie tickets … vegetables. But that was just not me.

Until I bought a luxury SUV.

At the time, it seemed like such a good idea. A vehicle with real speakers, GPS, and a rear end camera; lots of fun uses for that last one. And not only could it survive an impact with my old car—the dumpy little Honda CRV—it could crush that thing like Barack Obama squashed Alan Keyes in last year’s Illinois senate race.

But now, one year later, two twenties jump out of my pocket whenever I drop below a quarter tank. Every time I even drive by a gas station now, my wallet crawls around my waist and slaps my beanbag.

And pay attention, ladies and gentlemen: it is going to get worse before it gets better.

According to Oil Politics International, several hotspots around the world could cause markets to get all wiggy: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Venezuela.

We have panicked over $50 per barrel oil. Then $60. This week, nearing $70. But if any of these places really go downhill, we are looking at $100 per barrel.

Wait … do you hear that? I think my old Honda CRV is laughing at me.

4 Comments:

At August 16, 2005 9:31 AM, Blogger Unknown replied to my musings ...

what really irks me is that obviously, the technology is there to make fuel efficient vehicles. there are a few on the market. the question is, if it can be used in some cars, why not all? i'm not a car expert or even C minus car student, but it seems like something fishy is going on here. homey doesn't play that.

 
At August 16, 2005 5:01 PM, Blogger David Amulet replied to my musings ...

Hello fellow specter. Thanks for checking in and recommending me; feel free to pass along others who might be entertained or amused by my random thoughts on random things! (And it is soooo nice of you to rub in that cheap gas bill and kick a man when he's down. I'll go cry in my SUV now.)

Francesca, welcome. I hope the author of Oil Politics International will weigh in on whether the oil market dynamics will be pushing the industry to move more toward the efficient designs out there you mention. It makes sense, doesn't it? But, then again, sense alone has never really driven (pardon the pun) the industry ...

d.a.

 
At August 16, 2005 6:36 PM, Blogger ArchPundit replied to my musings ...

Hah. That's all.

 
At August 23, 2005 1:35 AM, Blogger ArchPundit replied to my musings ...

I have to admit that the rear end camera is cool though it has some obvious issues with the way it's named for female customers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home